In my recent introductory survey of gender roles and sundry, I promised a list of resources for further study of the issue of gender roles in the home and church, complementarianism vs. egalitarianism, feminism, etc. As promised (though far later than planned) I have begun to compile a list of resources I have found helpful in the past, and hope you may find them beneficial as well. I’m sure I will add to the list in the future, and would be delighted to hear about other great resources you may know of.
- Biblical Chivalry (an absolutely essential series on biblical manhood and womanhood)
- Courage in Conflict
- Fight the Good Fight (1st Timothy)
- The Good Soldier of Christ (2nd Timothy)
- Baytown Ladies’ Retreat (2014)
- Girls’ Session (Arkansas Youth Camp 2014)
- The Glorious Bride
- Ladies’ Session (Kansas Conference 2013)
- The Potter and the Clay (WA Ladies’ Retreat 2013)
- Ladies’ Sessions one, two, and three (Arkansas Youth Camp 2012)
- Girls’ Session (Ohio Retreat 2010)
- Can Women be Elders?
- Can Women Preach? (1 Tim. 2:12)
- Women in Leadership (Part 1)
- Women in Leadership (Part 2)
The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood:
- CBMW is a good resource in general, with a great store, journal, and frequent articles (follow their Twitter for updates). Here are a couple of excellent resources in particular from CBMW.
- Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (downloadable PDF) – This sizable book, edited by Wayne Grudem and John Piper, is an eminently valuable resource to keep on the shelf (or on the computer if you just get the PDF). Bible.org has some selected chapters available online as well; if you want a condensed sampling of some of the best of this book, this is where you want to go.
- Fifty Crucial Questions: An Overview of Central Concerns about Manhood and Womanhood (PDF)
- The Curse on the Woman
- Can Women Serve as Pastors and Elders in the Church?
- The Willful Submission of a Christian Wife
- Husbands, Love Your Wives (Eph. 5:25-33)
- Feminism: A Reversal of Biblical Standards
- The Biblical Portrait of Women: Setting the Record Straight
- Feminism and Exegetical Mayhem
- Can Women Exercise Authority in the Church?
- A Biblical Response to the Feminist Agenda
- Act Like Men
- Time to Act Like Men in the Church
- Act Like Men
- Phil has a phenomenal clip on the feminization of the church from his message titled, “Marching Orders for a Backslidden Church,” but there’s so much more in that message that is well-worth taking the time to listen to.
- Perhaps it doesn’t seem that this relates directly to our topic, but he has another message titled, “Sound Doctrine, Sound Words,” which is an essential and convicting message about the language Christian leaders use from the pulpit.
- Why Women Cannot be Head Pastors
- Do I Allow a Woman to Teach Men?
- Both are excellent articles addressing why Scripture does not allow women to be in the position of leadership in the church (hint, it has nothing to do with inferiority).
Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry:
Eric and Leslie Ludy:
- Dr. Mohler has some excellent articles and discussions on his blog. Instead of linking the many excellent articles individually, I’ll allow you to find what you wish in his categories on Manhood, Womanhood, and Marriage.